The paint surface shows some slight scratches and minor paint losses to the margins. The inspection under UV light reveals some fine strokes of retouching within the depiction (some of them to the scratches and visible to the naked eye). The canvas is somewhat dented and has been backed with paper.
Ferdinand Brütt (1849-1936)
Born in Hamburg, Ferdinand Brütt was a relative of the sculptor Adolf Brütt. He studied at the Hamburg arts college under Günther Gensler and Friedrich Heimerdinger as well as at the Großherzoglich-Sächsische Kunstschule in Weimar under the guidance of Ferdinand Pauwels, Albert Baur and Karl Gussow, among others. In 1876 he went to Düsseldorf and developed, parallelly to Christian Ludwig Bokelmann, the genre of the court image, since he himself had worked as a jury for some time. In 1889 he studied the Old Masters in Italy and created landscapes. From 1898 to 1920 he lived in Kronberg in the Taunus and joined the Kronberg painter colony. In 1893 he was appointed ‘Ordinary Prussian Professor‘. From 1906 to 1913 he created numerous wall and ceiling paintings in Frankfurt am Main. Brütt was a member of the Deutscher Künstlerbund. (cko)