The painting is in good condition, consistent with age. The surface bears craquelure in places, the edges with slight abrasion due to framing. Under UV-light tiny touch-ups or overpainting occasionally appear. The wood with scattered age-related tension cracks. The gilt decorative frame with some smaller bumps.
Johann Christian Klengel (1751-1824)
At the age of 12, Klengel began an apprenticeship as bookbinder in Dresden, while at the same time receiving drawing lessons from Charles François Hutin, Christian Gottlob Mietzsch, Johann Friedrich and Bernardo Bellotto at the Kunstakademie. Painter and etcher Christian Wilhelm Ernst Dietrich eventually taught Klengel as a private student and introduced him to landscape painting. During his summer stays in Kesselsdorf, he created realistic farm and animal studies as well as stable and courtyard interiors. In 1777 he was appointed member of the Academy in Dresden and annually supplied the exhibitions of the academy with several works. In 1890, he was granted a scholarship for a trip to Italy and for a year and a half he spent most of his time in Rome and the Campagna, where he drew not only ancient ruins and nature but also street children, beggars and peasants. Until his death, he first taught landscape painting as an associate professor from 1800 and then from 1816 onwards as an ordinary professor. His pupil were among others Johann Sebastian Bach the Younger, Traugott Faber and Christoph Nathe. Klengel’s works are represented in all major German collections. (nlu)