Examined in framed condition. The double glazing enables to recognize the good condition of the print. On the reverse the sheet is fixed with its upper corners with strips thin glue to the glass
Arnulf Rainer (b. 1929)
Arnulf Rainer attended the national trade school, before being accepted at the Universität für angewandte Kunst in Vienna, where he studied for a short time. He then also attended the Akademie für Bildende Künste. In 1951, Rainer visited André Breton in Paris along with the painter Maria Lassnig (1919-2014). Shortly after, his works were exhibited in a gallery in Frankfurt – one of the first appearances of Art Informel in Central Europe. Between 1953 and 1959, he began working on the series of his so-called ‘reductions’, precursors to his famous ‘over-paintings’. In 1966, Rainer was awarded the Austrian State Prize for graphic art. Two years later, the Museum des 20. Jahrhunderts (MumoK) in Vienna held a first retrospective. In 1981, he was appointed professor at the Akademie der Bildenden Künste and worked there until 1995. Today, Rainer lives and works in Enzenkirchen and in Tenerife. His works can be found in the collections of the MoMA in New York, the Tate Gallery in London and the Pinakothek der Moderne in Munich. In 2009, the Arnulf Rainer Museum was opened in Baden, Austria.