The work shows signs of age. The surface partially bears craquelure, minimal abrasion or losses of paint. Under UV-light small scattered touch-ups appear. The canvas is irregularly trimmed. Edges and corners of the cardboard are partially bumped.
Ferdinand Brütt (1849-1936)
The painter was born in Hamburg and completed an apprenticeship as lithographer in Hamburg. Later Brütt visited the local industrial school and was pupil of Günter Gensler and Friedrich Heimerdinger. From 1870 he studied at the art school in Weimar, where he was taught by Ferdinand Pauwels and Karl Gussow. Later he joined Albert Baur, whom he followed to Düsseldorf in 1876. Several study trips led him to Italy, Tyrol and northern Germany in 1889. He presented his works at various national and international exhibitions and achieved great successes. In 1898 Brütt moved to Kronberg/Taunus, where he joined the local painter's colony. During his lifetime he was honored with numerous medals, including the 1st medal at the World Exhibitions in Chicago and Vienna. Brütt's works are the property of various high-ranking museums, including the Neue Pinakothek in Munich and the Museum der Bildenden Künste in Leipzig. (nlu)