Around 1911, Max Pechstein had completely appropriated the ‘Brücke’ style: from now on, special dynamics, clear contrasts of colors and the linear bundling of color would determine his artistic approach. His drawings, however, reveal the artist’s intention of emphasizing the heart of his subjects with only carefully applied methods.
The sheet is overall discolored, has stronger creases in the edges and shows remains of an old mounting along the edges on the reverse. There is also some faint light staining.
Hermann Max Pechstein (1881-1955)
Originally from Zwickau, Hermann Max Pechstein was one of the main representatives of German Expressionism and temporary member of the ‘Brücke’ (bridge). He mainly created figural motifs, some with exotic influence, still lives and landscapes. His landscapes are often influenced by the landscape of Pomerania and the Curonian Spit, where Pechstein had a lasting inspiring effect on the Artists' Colony Nidden in the years from 1909 to 1939. Due to an encounter with Ernst Ludwig Kirchner and Erich Heckel, he joined the association of artists ‘Brücke’ in 1906 as the only academic. In 1908, Pechstein moved to Berlin. In the same year, he became a member of the ‘Berlin Secession’; in 1910, he was a co-founder and president of the ‘New Secession’. He was excluded from the 'Bridge' association in 1911, due to his simultaneous participation in the ‘Berlin Secession’. After travelling to the South Pacific, Pechstein became a member and professor of the Prussian Academy of Arts in 1923. During the Third Reich, his works were classified as ‘degenerate’ and prohibited at exhibitions. After the Second World War, Pechstein became a professor at the Berlin University of the Arts. In 1952, he was eventually awarded the Great Cross of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany. Shortly before his death in 1955, Pechstein still took part at the documenta I in Kassel. Today, Pechstein's works can be found in many museums, including the MOMA in New York, the Brücke Museum in Berlin, the State Museums of Berlin, the Albertina in Vienna and the Art Institute of Chicago. (cbo)