The model of the Weimarer vase owes its name to an order of ‘große antique Schlangen-Vase mit Zierath und Perlen für die Herzogin von Weimar‘ (English: large antique snake vase with embellishment and pearls for the Duchess of Weimar’). Character, proportion and type of decoration are strongly reminiscent of Sèvres paragons and are designed less strictly in compliance with the French taste. The amphora-like form, on a fluted, round base plate with lateral handles can easily be compared to Sèvres vases from the British Museum (1781) or the Victoria & Albert Museum (1780, 1788).
Cf. Erich Köllmann and Margarete Jarchow, Berliner Porzellan, Munich 1987, vol. II, p. 577, ill. 536.
The vase is in good condition and has partially been restored professionally. The lid is not included. The gold paint is partially slightly rubbed.
Königliche Porzellan-Manufaktur Berlin
The first porcelain manufactory at Berlin was founded on the suggestion of Frederick the Great by Wilhelm Caspar Wegely and J. Benckgraff in 1752, yet already 5 years later production was stopped because the king was not satisfied with the porcelain. With the invasion of Meissen by the Prussian army, many modelers and porcelain painters came to Berlin, where in 1761 the merchant Johann Ernst Gotzkowsky founded a new factory. This was finally bought in 1763 by Frederick the Great, who named it ‘Royal Porcelain Factory’ and introduced the cobalt blue scepter mark. During this time, the factory began producing exquisite tableware in a late Rococo style, which was painted with flowers, birds and scenes after Watteau Boucher and Dutch masters in vivid colors. Famous porcelain painters of the manufactory were K. W. Böhme, B. Böhme and K. J. C. Klipfel; master modelers were Friedrich Elias Meyer and his brother Wilhelm Christian. Typical Berlin porcelain patterns on tableware were moldings, scale-ground borders, landscapes, birds and animals, molded basketwork patterns and pierced rims. After Theodor Schmuz-Baudiß took over as artistic director in 1798, the tableware was decorated in underglaze painting with landscapes and cityscapes in delicate colors. In 1871 the factory was moved to its present location at the Tiergarten near the Spree, so that the raw materials and finished products were finally able to be transported by ship. In 1886 the painting of porcelain tiles was added as a new line of production under the direction of Professor Alexander Kips. After the destruction of the factory during WWII, KPM was taken over in 1988 by the state of Berlin and since 2006 has been in the possession of Berlin based private banker Jörg Woltmann.