On a rectangular dark brown plinth a walking, barefoot, curly oriental girl in sleepy pose with slightly lowered eyelids dressed into a nightgown. Lifting the dress up with her right hand and holding a light in her left hand.
The ceramic sculpture with light is in very good condition with slight traces of age and use, like some abrasion of the paint. A small chip at the cable exit at the plinth has been restored professionally. The sculpture is 80 cm in height.
Friedrich Goldscheider (1845-1897)
Friedrich Goldscheider is one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the history of European ceramics. He founded his manufactory in Vienna under the name ‘Manufaktur Friedrich Goldscheider’ in 1885. His pieces matched the spirit of the time during the period of around 1900 and particularly in the 1920s. His pieces were well known internationally; they were made of faience, terracotta, bronze and alabaster and represented historicist, art nouveau, art deco and orientalist styles. The Goldscheider family emigrated to England and to the US in 1938 and started new ceramic manufactories there. Friedrich’s son, Walter Goldscheider, returned to Vienna in 1950. He had to shut down the manufactory for economic reasons. He sold the license to a German company called ‘Carstens’. In 1987, Friedrich’s grandchild restarted the family business in the small town Stoob. (tm)