The painting is in overall very good condition with hardly noticeable signs of age and wear. The frame shows a few traces wear.
Wilhelm Ludwig Heinrich Claudius (1854-1942)
Claudius at first attended the drawing school in Hamburg. After that he studied at the Academy of Art in Dresden from 1871-74. He also successfully worked as an illustrator. Around 1900 he rather focused on his painting and became a member of the Dresden artist circle called Goppelner Gruppe. He further participated in the exhibitions of the Dresden Secession. In 1903 he was appointed professor and in 1909 was honored with the Gold Medal of the Munich art exhibition.